Do you have an art journal yet? If not, now is the time to create one. An art journal is a great way for you to spend time creating. It can be a place where you vent your emotions, or capture a beautiful moment of a day with a poem. Creating an art journal is fun and simple. Here are some instructions:
Create a personalized cover for your art journal. Collage the cover to tell your unique, creative story.
Craft Time: Approx. 60 minutes
Suggested material List
• Sand Paper
• Journal of choice (I like the hardcover journal books with blank pages inside.)
• Magazine cuttings
• Scrapbooking paper
• White glue
• Other items can be stickers, ribbon, yarn, glitter, or gems
* Lightly sand the cover of your journal.
* Wipe clean * Cover the journal with the scrapbooking paper. You may do this in one layer, or cut or rip up the paper to create a decorative backing or your magazine cuttings. (Be sure to wrap the paper around the inside corners of the books cover).
* Cut out images and words from a magazine that represent you and where you are in your life right now.
* Arrange the images and words over the scrapbooking paper you already applied in any order that feels right to you.
* Adorn with other decorative items like gems and ribbon etc.
(NOTE: Optional, you may want to collage the inside cover, both front and back, of the book for a finished look.)
Now your journal is ready. Try to create something in your journal at least every week. Once you get in the groove, you will see how helpful putting your emotions down in one place can be. Remember, you don’t have to be an artist. You only have to follow your feelings and use color and shape to tell a story about how you feel. If you are a writer, add your writings in there as well. Lastly, don’t forget to date your work. Over time, you will see patterns and stories emerging that will give you great insight and self-awareness.